Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Great Closet Clean Out - 2013

One of our first spring cleaning tasks was to get rid of the pile of goodwill donations that's been growing in our room since Kaida was born (that's the last time we made a donation).  I think you have to itemize everything if you want to claim it on your taxes now. This is an extra step in the process that, apparently, takes two years to complete.

This donation was just clothes.  I brought the pile down to the living room and we added everything into It's Deductible which is related to turbo tax.  Then I naively said "Maybe we should go through our closets really quick to see if there's anything else we want to send."

Five and a half hours later (that includes a lunch break) we had an extra bag to take over.

But the good news is that I had already gotten rid of most of my clothes that didn't fit anymore!  So there wasn't a lot to donate just because it was too tight or small.  That was a nice confidence booster.  And actually some of it was kicked out because it was too big.  I really have no idea why I would keep something that never fit.  I guess I'm a little crazy.

The sad news is that my closet is still pretty full.  I kept a lot of my office appropriate attire on the chance that I'll be working in an office again sometime soon.  Plus I can wear most of those things to church too.  I really don't need that many nice outfits but I don't want to get rid of them either.  I did just need to dress up for Jury Duty last week so there are things sometimes.

The good news is that I'm not too worried about fashion trends, as long as I look good in it I'm usually ok with it.  So those clothes can stay in my closet a long while and get occasional use before I deem them past their best by date.  Besides, shopping isn't as fun without Rachelle's reckless encouragement so I'd be lost if I had to go get something new by myself.

I found a few things that had gotten shuffled to the back of the closet and I've been working them into my every day SAHM wardrobe.  JR is pretty excited that I'm no longer alternating between the Mickey Mouse sweatshirt with the broken zipper, and the Mickey Mouse sweatshirt with the green stain.

It was like shopping in my own closet. 
Plus making a three garbage bag donation.
Plus de-cluttering.

It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment