Monday, May 2, 2011

Valances

Right before Easter I made new valances for the dining room windows. Here is my tale of woe regarding them.

We bought new curtains and valances from Domestications a couple years ago. They're thermal, which is nice because that's where the sun beats down and it's nice to block it in the summer.

We installed the curtain rods incorrectly so the sheers were longer than the curtains until we switched them. And then the valances, which had a tailored look, were too narrow for the rods they were on. It was way less than awesome.

Tonic was apparently not a fan of the new look and so he peed on one of the curtains. I, being the queen of lazy, washed just that one panel. It came out of the dryer much shorter that its partner. I lived with it. I planned to use my several weeks off of work before Kaida was born to fix the curtain situation. That several weeks turned out to be just 2 days so that definitely didn't happen.

Then I started the new cleaning routine and decided to wash the curtains. Bad news bears. They came out even shorter than the previous washing. And the valances shrunk even worse in their width. With the sheers behind them the poor windows looked like they were wearing flood pants.

Since it was almost Easter, and we decided to host something had to be done. So I made new valances!

The trouble was finding a fabric that coordinated with the curtains and with the walls without being too matchy with either one. I think what I found works well though. It's a paisley fabric that actually came from the quilting department. It's thinner material so I lined it with a spare sheet I found in the fabric bin.




I'm quite proud of the workmanship. I think this is the first thing I've made where I didn't think "I should have done _________ instead."
I think they look pretty good too.

We took down the sheers and JR installed cordless light blocking blinds that we had cut to fit at Lowe's. I think it looks pretty nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment